Crop tool (rounded square)
Crop tool (rounded square)

BADSWORTH VILLAGE

History of Badsworth Hall and The Grange

At the moment information is very sketchy on the Hall but we have some notable dates and residents.
 
In 1653 the forfeited Manor of Badsworth was purchased by Sir John Bright, after Parliament sequestered it from the Dolman family during the Civil War, for £8600. The hall became his principal residence.
He was appointed Sheriff of Yorkshire 1654 - 1656.
He died on 13th September 1688 and was "buried with great pomp in the Chancel of Badsworth Church" on 21st September.
There is a wall monument in Badsworth Church paying tribute to him.

 
   

The Sir John Bright Monument in the Church
 
According to the 1852 census the Hall was the residence of Joseph Scott Esq.
 
The famous architect John Carr (Born in York, lived in Horbury, married in Featherstone) was associated with the building, renovating, extending or demolishing many buildings - Public, Churches, Bridges and Domestic throughout Yorkshire and the Country as a whole and his last great unfinished work was the San Antonio's hospital in Oporto Portugal.
He was the Lord Mayor of York in 1770 and 1785 and died, unmarried in 1807 leaving propoerty worth between £150,000 and £200,000.
Unfortunately all we can find in the records is that he demolished Badsworth Hall in 1780!
 
As the last Hall was described as Georgian (1730 - 1800), we assume the Hall was built shortly after this demolition.

 
 
 
The Hall in 1926
 
 
The seat of power in the village was Badsworth Hall which was demolished in the late 1940s
 
The last Lord of the Manor was Richard Heywod Jones, who purchased the Manor in the 1850s, and his family is much in evidence in the Church.
Richard himself was killed by lightning whilst at camp with the local militia in Harrogate in 1900.
He left a widow and daughters

 
 
The Crest of Richard Heywood Jones
 
 
All the Daughters married men who had estates in their own right so, on the death of his widow in 1926 the Badsworth estate was broken up and auctioned off
 
The Estate was described in the Sale Catalogue as:-
 
Comprising the picturesque old Georgian Mansion
with Modern conveniences
 
10 Dairy Farms
 Important Building Sites
 Accomodation Lands
 Small Holdings
 
and the greater part of the Village of Badsworth
amounting in all to about
 
1560 acres
 
At one time the Hall was connected to the "Bothy" - Weavers cottages - by an iron bridge.

 
 
 
 
Rumour has it that this fell down as a cart passed under shaking the foundations, the remains of these are still visible on the lane.
The original cottages have been converted into "The Cottage", an extremely attractive property.

 
 
 
 
After the Sale, Major Holliday lived in the Hall before renting and eventually buying Copgrove Hall in 1936
 
The present building bearing the name is in fact the original entrance to the drive up to the Hall and consisted of the archway and stables. This is now a Grade II listed building

 
 
 

  The original entrance

  The Hall today
 
 
Badsworth Hall is mentioned in "God's Good Man - A Simple Love Story" by Marie Corelli.
It was the home of "Sir Morton Pippitt"
 
The site of the Hall is now occupied by the houses of Badsworth Court.
 
---<o>---
 
Badsworth Grange
 
Badsworth Grange standing on Back Lane was built for Richard Heywood's unmarried sisters.

 
 
 
Early Pictures of the Grange
 
 
Around 1940 Mr E.C Hamilton-Russell, a director of the Netherton Coal Company (Newcastle), was resident at the Grange and subsequently listed after 1947(Nationalisation of the Coal Industry) as living in Hexham.

 
 
 
The Grange today
 
 

Thos Bright 2
Hall 19260001
Heywood Jones Crest0002
Nineveh Bridge
Cottage
Hall Stables
Hall
The Grange (Back)
The Grange
The Grange

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player